Friday 7 February 2020

Framework Five: Thing 1

Types of information I seem to regularly handle: 

There seem to be a lot of forms to fill in during a working week - all sorts and shapes and sizes. Ensuring that the right information is to hand and that I have understood the question is important. If I need a payroll reference then I know I can usually find it in one of two places; if I need to know what an hour of work for a temporary employee on a particular grade is likely to cost us, then I need to know where to find that and to have some numeracy skills (along with my trusty calculator) to establish the cost, knowing that I also need to add that magic thing called 'on-costs'. 

Fluency in this aspect of my work seems to feel like it could be about constant practice bringing a sense of familiarity or speed of action; but there is also that additional nuance about understanding the context of each form and what language or tone, or crucially what specific subset of information, is required for each case. I'm not over-stating it to say that I have churned out many a business case for new staff, replacement staff, temporary staff (it's a function of my role), and with 20 or 30 or more business cases now behind me, I would say I am fluent (and usually successful - I know, I should be careful in what I say) in producing them. I can assess the key points, I understand the broader employment landscape within which to situate my arguments, and the basic facts of what, who, & how much will it cost, are now my daily bread and butter. In other words it really doesn't take very long to spit one of these out. 

My fluency in this task has certainly shifted from moderately inept to moderately good. The changes that I can chart in this process are about becoming comfortable in what, and how, I write; I know where to find the information I need quickly and speedily, I know who to ask for help (the finance division adviser I have is just a perfect star - no question is too basic or unconventional). I have kept and stored some of the examples of cases that I have written in the past, especially the successful ones of course. If I were organised enough I could write notes on the unsuccessful ones marking up what to change for 'next time'. That would certainly be another way to help my future self.....

Image by OpenClipart-Vectors from Pixabay 


No comments:

Post a Comment