Monday 17 February 2014

Did I cry at my daughter's wedding?

Actually, strictly speaking, no, although since I was asked this A LOT during the day itself, I have been thinking about why not! To be honest, yes I confess I did cry, but not at the wedding service, not when she came down the aisle, not at the first dance, but at odd quirky times.
Saying thanks and goodbye to the lovely ladies at Emily, the dress shop, was peculiarly emotional; likewise when picking the flowers up from Emma at Katie Peckett, and the final goodbye and thank you to Jennifer, the event manager at Millennium Galleries, brought tears to my eyes. My lovely brother, Jem, who allowed half his house to be taken over by Rach and me arranging all the flowers, and then let me leave an appalling mess behind at the end of the weekend, made me cry. I don't think I quite cried, but was awfully close to it, when thanking the most amazing Bakers who have loved, and cared for, and housed my daughter, and been the best Sheffield 'parents' to both Steph and Andy. My wonderful Cambridge friends, Wendy and Rosie and Steve, who were such a support, debriefing over cups of tea afterwards, helping clear the venue the next day - yes, you too brought tears to my eyes. And, of course, my super supportive best friend and husband - yes you made me cry!

Seeing Steph get married to Andy was just SO right, SO perfect, that it would have been illogical to cry; but crying about the amazing care and love of not just friends and family, but also, people who are basically strangers but with whom for a short period you've shared your life seems absolutely right and proper!

So there - I've thought it all out and worked it through and I'm pretty content with where I'm at.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment